CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The memorial service and funeral were held yesterday.
I dont think a single person walked out of there without acknowledging what a wonderful woman Mrs Lotter was - the Tributes made to her spelled that out clearly.
This was what I read on behalf of the "old-girls" of 2004.

As we look back over time
We find ourselves wondering .....
Did we remember to thank you enough
For all you have done for us?
For all the times you were by our sides
To help and support us .....
To celebrate our successes
To understand our problems
And accept our defeats?
Or for teaching us by your example,
The value of hard work, good judgement,
Courage and integrity?
We wonder if we ever thanked you
For the sacrifices you made.
To let us have the very best?
And for the simple things
ike laughter, smiles and times we shared?
If we have forgotten to show our
Gratitude enough for all the things you did,
We're thanking you now.
And we are hoping you knew all along,
How much you meant to us.

Losing someone so dear to our hearts has been devastating to try and deal with. We hope to wake up and be told it was all a bad dream. We hope to walk into her classroom and still see her there. We hope to see her smile and hear her laugh. We hurt, we mourn and we want to turn back time so that we could say a kind word and let her know how much important she was to us.
Unfortunately, we cant.

But, there is something that we can do.

We can remember her for the wonderful woman she was. We can honour her memory by thinking fondly on the lessons and the laughter. Mrs Lotter was truly an amazing person as well as teacher. She had never- ending patience and her words of comfort and encouragement reached far beyond the last school bell. No matter how difficult the class was, she took it in her stride. She was a woman of sophistication and class. She made such an impression on the lives of the girls who passed through her door and she will not be forgotten.

The last time I saw her was a few months back. We chatted for a long time and she shared with me that they were building a little place in Cape Town as a holiday home. She was so proud that she would be able to sit and watch the whales from her lounge. Her eyes glowed as she spoke of a new chapter in her life that she would be starting. I’m not sure if she ever got to see the whales from her new home, but I believe she’s now watching them from Heaven.

12 comments:

Chellie said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. I never can quite seem to find all the right words, but I do know that your wisdom is beyond your years and realizing that she may be gone, but is there is spirit, is a wonderful thing.

HUGS

Help I need a user name! said...

I am so very, very sorry for the loss of such a wonderful person. Good teachers are special people who should be treasured. What a horrible thing to have happen, and for you to have to deal with. Hang in there, Chell. I am so glad you got to participate in the service.

Elizabeth said...

That is very touching and it is obvious how much this teacher meant to you. What an honor to be able to speak at her funeral.

Megan said...

that was beautiful. you are so brave to be able to stand and share you thoughts and feelings. as i read your words i felt like my home grew quiter and i was touched by each word. thank you for sharing that. i am so sorry about your loss.

catbomb said...

that was beautiful

tharker said...

Chell, I am so very sorry for your loss. Mrs. Lotter sounds like she was an amazing woman and teacher.

Your words are a beautiful tribute to her memory. I am sure you made her proud.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

When I read about the loss of your former teacher and friend, my heart hurt for you, and still does. You are so brave to speak at her funeral. You are amazing. I hope you know that many are praying for your comfort. Heavenly Father is watching out for you :)

Jayci said...

I'm sorry that you have lost a wonderful teacher, but she had to have known how appreciative you were (and others) of her. What a nice thing to read at her service. Very thoughtful and deep. It was beautiful.

angiedunn said...

chell...

what a tragedy. i'm so very sorry for your loss. i'll be prayin' for peace & comfort to come to you & the family of your teacher. my heart goes out to you. this was totally beautiful to read...you are amazing.

Nancy Face said...

This was so very touching. I started crying when I got to the part about her watching the whales from Heaven.

I'm so sorry for your loss and hurts. I'm sending you a big hug.
(((((CHELL)))))

aurora said...

Chell, that was beautiful. I am so sorry to hear of such a tragedy.

I am so glad that you found such a touching poem to share and that you had this great opportunity to show your love and represent all of those who loved her.
{HUGS!}

KIMS CORNER said...

Im sorry for your loss. It made me really sad to think such a thing happened to what sounds like a really great woman. What you said at her memorial was really beautiful and really touching. That poem seemed to fit perfectly.